J-1 Visa: Internship and Training

March 17, 2023
The J-1 visa program allows individuals to enter the U.S. for a specified period, as part of an exchange visitor program sponsored by schools, businesses, and a diverse variety of organizations and institutions. Under U.S. State Department regulations, J-1 visas are issued to students, scholars, business and industrial trainees, teachers, interns, seasonal staff, and those on approved, cultural missions.

In addition, there are several exchange visitor programs for young people, including summer employment programs for university students and au pair programs. Participants can work, train and study while they experience daily life in the United States.

The duration of the J-1 visa can be as short as a summer internship or as long as a multiple-year medical residency and sub-specialty program. We have considerable experience writing programs to qualify interns to come to and work in the U.S.

Foreign Nationals covered by the J-1 Visa:

Medical students coming to the U.S. as residents or internsForeign Scholars sponsored by universities as temporary facultyThose wishing to pursue business and industrial training programs in the U.S.Seasonal staff or counselors in U.S. summer campsNannies or au pairs living with an American host family. Those pursuing Post-graduate studiesGovernment visitorsActivities that are part of an exchange program approved by the U.S. Department of State

This summary is not intended to be a legal consultation and is intended to be a general description. A legal consultation is necessary before any action is taken. Please call Birg Law (847) 579-9989.